When I started this program on October 14th, 2013
Max Squat: 205# x6
Deadlift: 225# x 1
Bench: 115 x 1
As of January 5th, 2014
Max Squat: 265# x 1
Max Deadlift: 275# x 1
Max Bench: 145# x 3
As of January 6th, 2015
Max Squat: 300# x 1
Max Deadlift: 330# x 1
Max Bench: 170# x 1
I am VERY proud of myself. I don’t care that I’m not the strongest person ever. I’m at a higher weight than I’d like to be, my 2013 stats were actually when I was 10# heavier!), BUT mentally, I am so much healthier TODAY, than I ever have been.
- Yes, my father died unexpectedly. I think about it everyday. The pain is always there. BUT I use it as motivation. He didn’t raise a quitter and when the time is right, I will see him again.
- Yes, I’ve had injuries. I’ve ruined my shins from running too hard, too fast. I continue to battle IT band problems, knee pain, etc. BUT I’ve taken care of myself, rehabbed, and trained around the problems rather than quitting or pushing my body too much. I’ve accepted I haven’t been diligent in technique and preventive measures and I’m addressing it.
- Yes I’ve gained weight back that I did not want to, but I didn’t know about flexible dieting. I didn’t know I didn’t have to deprive myself of chocolate, ice cream and pizza. I’m not perfect. Food is good. BUT I am losing weight now WHILE eating those things. I’m being responsible.
- Yes I live with my mom. I’m 25 and I live with my mom. I don’t have my own place anymore. BUT I have a duty to make sure my mother keeps her house. I owe it to my father who worked his ass off to buy the house for my family to live in. I don’t care how that makes me look. My mother has been through so goddamn much, she deserves all the help in the world.
- NO, I’m not engaged or married. I don’t have a shiny ring to show off. I don’t have wedding stories to tell or bridal showers to plan. But I have a wonderful, supported partner who I am SO FUCKING grateful for. Even after 5 years, I still feel so damn lucky I get to fall asleep next to him and wake up with him every morning, even if it is at 4am. I cannot say enough about him and how much he has improved me and my life.
- NO, I don’t have kids. I don’t have a 5 year plan. I don’t WANT children, I don’t feel any need to have them. BUT that doesn’t mean I don’t respect people who want them. I am not, NOT a woman because I haven’t had a child. I do not feel guilty for not wanting children. I don’t need to have kids to feel fulfilled. I am 100% happy to be a cool aunt.
- No, I don’t have a huge social life. Training & family is my priority. BUT, I’ve made more friends at the gym or because of the gym than ever. Currently, I train with 5 other guys and I love it. People are constantly wanting to know what we are doing – especially when they see me deadlifting 330 or even my boyfriend who isnt a huge dude, deadlifting 475lbs and squatting 400lbs. At this stage in my life, drinking and partying is good for NH/occasionally. I want to go hiking, camping, shooting (bow & gun), etc instead.
That went farther than I had planned – sorry – it got a little personal there. I think it is important to write down right now though. Never the less, I am not sorry for being the way I am. I’m done feeling bad for living a certain way or feeling out of place. I like being out of place. I like people thinking I’m a little strange or misguided or displaced. I am okay, happy and loved for it.
Back To Training
In four weeks I will be testing my new maxes. This sounds like a long time, but it is not. It feels like nothing actually. Just last night, did a heavier REP deadlift session. That means, training was 80% of our maxes, at 3 sets of 8…which is like cardio. We did some deficit work, and then assistance work. Goddamn I was burnt.
I am shooting for: 315# squat, 345# deadlift, 185# bench, but we will see. My number should be attainable. My last cycle ended in an increase of 25# on squat, 15# on deadlift, and 15# on bench, and that was after about 6 months of spartan/tough mudder training (not focusing on strength, but lots of volume work). Regardless, I feel very strong. My knees are feeling great lately, I’ve been tweaking my deadlift form and working with conventional pulling too! I’ve been including kneeling squats, pause deadlifts and squats, front squats, deficit sumos & conventional speed pulls, trap bar work, etc. I haven’t done a lot of band work, mostly because of time & efficiency. I don’t have the space at the gym I am which is more of a “global” gym than powerlifting.
Running has been off and on. I get no more pain from it, but I’ve mostly been doing sprint work about once a week. Every three weeks, I run about 3-4 miles. Even though its not a lot, I don’t want to increase it too much because it starts to take a toll on my strength work. When it gets warmer out, I will start to transition.
I have been on the same program, Cube Method, for about 1.5 years. I keep with it because I haven’t stopped progressing yet. I don’t do it all year round, mostly through the fall/winter, so I’m proud of my numbers.
Maybe one of more 2015 resolutions is to fucking post more 🙂