Besides my HerbaLife Protein rant, I have a few others. I know my views are pretty strong, but the fact is, you don’t need fancy shit to get to your fitness/health goals. The dirty truth is, most people don’t want to lose fat. It requires a lot of work, time, and effort. It means you have to completely change your daily routine, eating, life, etc – and most people aren’t up for that.
It takes a lot of practice, dedication and daily grinding to get better. If you can’t stick with a plan or routine for more than a week, then stop complaining, stop wishing, stop saying on facebook how you “wish” you had motivation and drive to do the things you want to do. It’s lame. No one wants to tell you, but you’re looking for the easy way out. You’re looking for a pat on the back, a “good try”, a helping hand that will show you the light.
I know a lot of people who are distributors of these products – but I don’t care. Either you are severely misinformed about the product you are selling, you want a quick way to make money or you simply don’t give two-shits if it works for someone or not. Either way, you’re continuing the myth & making it harder for REAL, ACCURATE AND FACTUAL information to get out there.
So, no, I won’t stop telling people the truth that they are being scammed & lied to. Don’t like it? Delete me. Ignore me. Don’t care – but I won’t be part of pyramid scams, shady business/auto billing, over priced products, over processed “diet” food and the continuation that food, calories and fat are evil.
Shauna’s Shit List
1. HerbaLife “Lift Off” Energy Enhancement : $18 per container
Thoughts: Not too fucking sure what costs 18 dollars in this product. I’m guessing the minimal amount of caffeine (75mg per serving? That’s less than 1 cup of coffee…) and maybe the B vitamins? If you eat meat, chicken, fish, eggs and dairy, then you shouldn’t be deficit in vitamin B12. So…for a serving size of 10 tablets, you’re paying $1.80 per tablet for 75mg of caffeine and a mixture of vitamins/minerals that you get from food anyways? Um. Yeah. Okay.
2. Special K Anything, But lets pick on Double Chocolate Protein Meal Replacement Bars
Thoughts: Let’s make a product just for women and say that they can lose 6lbs in two weeks. Let’s not tell them that our products are just carbs, sugar and fake ingredients that actually starve you of real nutrients and real food. But, our boxes are clean, pretty and everyone is smiling when they use our products…what’s the problem?
Am I being too harsh? Well let’s look at what’s in Double Chocolate Protein Meal Replacement Bars
COATING (SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL OIL†, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, WHEY, NONFAT MILK, SOY LECITHIN, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, SALT, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, POLYSORBATE 60), SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, CORN SYRUP, INULIN, FRUCTOSE, RICE STARCH, SUGAR, POLYDEXTROSE, CHOCOLATEY CHIPS (SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL OIL†, COCOA, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, POLYSORBATE 60, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), CHOCOLATE, RICE CEREAL (RICE, WHEAT GLUTEN, SUGAR, DEFATTED WHEAT GERM, SALT, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WHEY, MALT FLAVORING, REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B1], FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12), DEXTROSE, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CALCIUM CARBONATE, SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS, GLYCERIN, SORBITOL, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SALT, SOY LECITHIN, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), POLYSORBATE 80, D-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL (VITAMIN E), XANTHAN GUM, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), BHT FOR FRESHNESS, ALMOND FLOUR, PARTIALLY DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR, WHEAT STARCH, VITAMIN B12, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN D. † LESS THAN 0.5g TRANS FAT PER SERVING
If you still think that Special K or Kelloggs puts out products that truly HELP YOU achieve your fitness/health goals, you are delusional and may need a veggie or four. Every day. For the next month.
3. ItWorks Body Wraps : $99 per box / $60 if you’re a “frequent customer” (4 wraps included)
I thought the 90s were over? You know the decade where eating fat was terrible, low calorie was the way to go and everything BUT exercise/eat actually food was the fastest way to being “skinny.” Oh 2014, sorry, didn’t see you there. I guess my ItWorks body wrap was wrapped a little too tight around the part of my brain that supplies me with common sense.
I know I’m being stupidly sarcastic here, but COME THE FUCK ON. If you truly think that spending $99 dollars for 4 “body” wraps is going to revolutionize the fitness/health industry, you need to fucking WAKE UP. It truly boggles my mind how in this day an age, with all the education we’ve been supplied over the passed decade about nutrition/fitness, people are STILL handing over their money for these types of products.
Thoughts: Do you know WHY you have belly fat? Do you know WHY you can’t get rid of it? Do you know WHY you think this is a good idea? Because you’ve been spoon fed BULLSHIT all your life and refuse to do the dirty work of research. If you truly wanted to lose fat, improve your health and start leading a better life, you’d actually realize that its as simple as exercise, veggies, meats, seeds, sex, education, laughter and love. For serious. People put too much thought into all of this. Depending on your goal, everything starts with nutrition.
You want to lose weight? Nutrition.
You want to lose fat? Nutrition.
You want to get stronger, faster, bigger? Nutrition.
And why is that? BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT FUELS OUR BODIES. Fuck. Food goes in our mouth. Food breaks down into several macro and micro nutrients. These nutrients determine how our body behaves, feels, reacts, etc. It really is fucking simple. If you think a topical cream, wrap, starvation diet, or pills does the same thing as basic macro and micro nutrients, you need to pick up a fucking book.
Stop with the excuses. You’re an adult. Be honest with yourself – because the quicker you are, the quicker these types of products can die a miserable, flaming death and we can move on. Ask questions. Do your research,. If you don’t know what a word means, look it up. Better yet, LOOK UP THE PRODUCT YOU’RE WONDERING ABOUT. I look at reviews on everything I buy.
But just to prove my point, I did it for you:
- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/579483-it-works-body-wraps “How is some silly piece of fabric you wrap around your body going to “pull” toxins from adipose tissue through at least your dermis and epidermis and out of your body? You don’t need a wrap to detox yourself, that’s what kidneys are for. It’s also not going to shrink your fat cells in any permanent fashion. “
I don’t give a fuck if you lost 4 inches – I’m interested in body fat, lean muscle, and long-term fat loss. Losing “4 inches” doesn’t mean you lost fat, it means water retention has been manipulated – and will be back.
4. Miscellaneous Rants
- You will NOT lose fat if you plan on being on the elliptical for an hour. Fat burning is optimal during this time, however not for the long term. Low-medium exercise burns fat/cals during the exercise, but not much after it. On top of making you bored with life, I wouldn’t recommend this type of work unless its conditioning or if you have a lot of weight to lose. HIIT/Sprinting/Circuit Training or Metabolic type training increases your heart rate throughout the day – burning more calories over a 24 hour period – which is what you really need to be paying attention to.
- Lift Heavy – Push the boundaries of your body. Stop chest pressing those 15lb dumbbells – PUSH THE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT YOU CAN DO.
- Deadlifts, Squats, Overhead Presses, Jumps, Farmer Walks, Tire Flipping, Hill Sprints will make you better, stronger, faster
- Release those limits of what “normal” is. I have lats that don’t fit into “normal” women’s clothes. Do I give a fuck? Sometimes. Am I proud of them? all the time. Suck it up buttercup.
- Proper nutrition isn’t fat free cheese, special k products, whole wheat pasta, orange juice, tons of fruit etc. You have look at how the food is made, what its made with, how its processed and how you cook it. All of this comes into play when the food is being broken down and distributed throughout your body. Pay attention to ingredients! Fruit is sugar – no matter how you look at it. Sugar is carbs. If you’re taking in too much sugar/carbs, and not training or using those carbs – it’s not going to do much for your body.
- Get use to cooking A LOT. Eating out is great, but you never truly know what’s in a chicken breast at the 99s – until a cook tells you he puts about 2 tablespoons of butter & oil on it so it tastes nice and juicy. (Not saying butter and oil is bad, but the TYPE OF BUTTER AND OIL is – and as always, a calorie is a calorie.)
- Protein + Fiber are the best things to keep you full, happy and energized. Carbs are for training + energy. Fat helps you recover as well as helps keep you full, FAT IS NOT EVIL.
- Gluten free doesn’t mean its best for fat loss.
There is no special route to fat loss – just consistency. Nothing happens over night, they happen after many days, weeks, months of hard, consistent work. WORK.
Any more questions? Comment below – I’ll do what I can to answer any/all questions!